The Helping Hand Food Pantry is a non-profit charitable organization granted 501(C)(3) status by the IRS. It is entirely staffed by dedicated volunteers and relies on private donations, grocery stores, fundraisers, food drives and grants to serve those in need. We currently serve approximately 1252 neighbors every month, including senior citizens, the disabled, active military members, as well as veterans. We are open on Monday evenings and the first Saturday morning of every month. Donations are accepted during these times or non-perishable foods can be placed in the covered outdoor receptacles at any time. The pantry serves community members from the towns of Emerson, Hillsdale, Oradell, Montvale, Washington Township, Westwood and Woodcliff Lake.
The Helping Hand Food Pantry evolved from a need recognized in 1992 by a Boy Scout and Hillsdale's public health nurse. The scout took the initiative to organize a food drive for his Eagle Project. Seeing the need for continued food distribution, the public health nurse and welfare director managed the operation for the following six years.
In 1998 the Hillsdale Clergy Association united the four Hillsdale churches to establish one ecumenically sponsored food pantry. The Hillsdale Clergy Association is comprised of Hillsdale United Methodist Church, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Pascack Bible Church and Saint John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church. The pantry is governed by a Board of Trustees comprised of representatives of the supporting four churches and a Member at Large.
We continually need new volunteers and if you would like to help us please contact us at TheHelpingHandFoodPantry@gmail.com. Volunteers must be at least 12 years old. Sorting and stacking donations, filling clients’ orders, shopping for the pantry, coordinating and organizing food drives are only a few of the ways one can help. Bilingual volunteers are an added bonus.
The Hillsdale Clergy Association:
Hillsdale United Methodist Church
Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
Pascack Bible Church
St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church